16 Dec Healthy Diet plan for Weight loss – That worked for me
This post is also available in: Hindi
As we all know, weight loss depends 70% on food, 20% on exercise and 10% on lifestyle. It means that without changing the diet, it is quite difficult to lose weight. Here, diet does not mean to eat less or not eat at all. This will only lead you to be sick. For this, you need to understand the science behind weight gain and loss.
Come let us know how to plan the balanced diet.
Our aim is to lose weight in a healthy manner. For this, you need to understand these two points.
- Healthy eating – There are two types of food, one is healthy food and the other one is unhealthy food. Unhealthy food means it contains a lot of calories, which fills the stomach but it lacks essential nutrients (vitamins and minerals) which are necessary for the functioning of the body. Unhealthy food only increases weight and makes us sick. Many researches says, Healthy food contains calories as well as essential nutrients necessary to the body along with it.
- Consumption of fewer calories – If we consume more calories than what is needed in our body then the extra calories get stored in the form of fat in our body. That is why we will consume fewer calories and burn more, by which the body will fulfill the refilling of energy through the increased fat and thus our fat can get reduced.
The most important thing in good diet is what to eat and what not to eat. Some food items give us more calories but fewer nutrients, such as a chapatti with ghee and oily vegetables. And some food items give us fewer calories but more nutrients such as oats, green vegetables, fruits such as pomegranate, sprouts such as moong, moth, etc., and if these are eaten in the right quantities, then these are helpful in reducing weight at a faster pace.
There are other such similar points too, which are to be considered by us when we prepare the best nutritious diet. For instance, balanced diet should be prepared in this manner which,
- Fulfills the necessities of the nutrients required by the body.
- Contains fewer calories, but makes the stomach feel full.
- Increases our metabolism.
- Increases fat burning.
- Makes our digestion better because constipation also increases weight.
- Consumes around 1200 calories(for adult men and women).
Out of these, you must have understood almost all the points, but here I will tell you something about 2 points.
What is metabolism – in simple words we can say that, it is that process in which our body converts our food into energy, which keeps our body cells and organs alive and which is important for their functioning. Metabolism rate will burn more body fat when it is fast, that is the reason our metabolism rate should be fast to reduce weight.
What is 1200 calorie plan – A common active and healthy adult requires around 2100 calories in one day. But in order to lose weight, we have to consume fewer calories, through which our body can burn fat and fulfill the required energy. According to National Health Institute NHI research, consumption up to 1200-1600 calories reduces weight. This depends on your age, gender, lifestyle and your body functions. You can get sick if you consume less than 1200 calories. That is why do not go below 1200 calories. You can see more information here. So to lose weight at a faster pace, a 1200 calorie plan is the most useful.
Taking care of all the above mentioned points, I have prepared an Indian diet plan, which is being useful in reducing my weight and making my health better at the same time.
Vegetarian Diet chart for weight loss
Morning – Breakfast
5.30 am – 1 glass hot water (200 ml)
6.00 am – Daana methi (Fenugreek seeds) with water
6.30 am – Fruit Salad (½ apple and 1/3 pomegranate)
7.15 am – Jeera ajvaain (cumin seeds and carom seeds) with water
8.45 am – Sprouts salad- 200 grams (like moong or moth or boiled chhole or rajma etc., do not eat the same everyday). Add tomato, green chilli, 1 tsp lemon juice, 1 tsp flax seed powder in salad.
10.00 am – Coriander juice (see method below)
Food during day (Lunch)
1 pm – Oats (1/2 cup, approx 40 grams)
2 pm – Salad (onion, tomato, cucumber/carrot if possible, and add pepper on top)
2.30 pm – 1 tsp tahini seeds (til)
4 pm – 1 thin chapatti and some vegetables (you cannot live without it 🙂 )
Food during night ( Dinner )
7.30 pm – 1 glass lemon water (with salt, without sugar, 200 ml)
10.00 pm – 1 protein laddoo 20 grams (a while before sleeping, see method below)
Drink 3-4 liters of water per day, this will increase your metabolism.
Come let us talk about why I have chosen all these vegan food items and what are their benefits.
what to eat to lose weight and why
Consuming hot water
Drinking hot water in the morning will remove the toxic elements from our body, improve digestion, reduce constipation and make the skin on our body better. And drinking hot water after adding lemon juice in it will reduce our body fat and does not make you hungry. This helps a lot in reducing pounds.
Many experts such as Fumiko Takatsu say that if you consume only hot water during the day, then you can reduce up to 3-5 kgs. That is the reason why Japanese people are slim. But this isn’t easy, drinking only hot water will not give you satisfaction. That is why I have kept it only in the morning in my meal plan.
Fenugreek seeds with water
This will not make you hungry and burns fat – Soak 1 tsp of fenugreek seeds in 1 glass water overnight and drink it in the morning. I eat the fenugreek seeds along with the water, yes these are very bitter but according to MedIndia Doctors, they are also very healthy and are very helpful in reducing weight. You can also swallow them; they will benefit you in the same way.
It contains galactomannan element, which helps you feel full and does not make you hungry, which makes us consume fewer calories during the day, so you can stay with 1200 calorie program. Along with breaking the fat, fenugreek seeds also improve sugar metabolism through which we can burn more belly fat. This contains soluble fiber which stops constipation. Due to all these reasons, it helps a lot in reducing pounds.
It has one more benefit. It reduces the swelling of your body, through which you do not look fatter. It can also be used by patients suffering from diabetes and blood pressure.
Cumin seeds and Carom seeds with water
This will improve your digestion
Ajvaain (carom seeds) – Ajvaain contains Thymol enzyme, which improves the digestion process and which reduces the problems related to gas. It does not allow constipation. It also improves metabolism, which helps in more burning of fat. Its also cure many health related problems in women’s.
Jeera (cumin seeds) – Jeera is so beneficial, it is also known as priests’ food. Along with reducing weight, it also reduces belly fat. It means that along with kilos, it also reduces your size and makes you slim. Or we can say that it corrects the weight loss plateau. Jeera also increases metabolism for some time, so you should definitely eat it in vegetables. Jeera also helps in increasing immunity. you can also view the research which says cumin seeds help much in weight loss.
Flaxseeds mandatory in food plan
This helps you feel full and Fat burning –
This contains lectin element which removes harmful substances from our food. And the fiber and mucilage present in the real powder removes out the fat from the body, which reduces kilos. Along with vitamins and minerals, it also contains more of omega 3 and fiber. This means that it works as a mission for weight loss.
Make a powder of the flax seeds and use it because our body is not able to digest these seeds. And grind them right before you eat because like coffee, it gets oxidized, by which it will not stay beneficial.
It also improves our immune system and removes bad cholesterol.
Tahini seeds (Til)
This is a source of protein for vegetarians. Tahini seeds increase the enzymes in liver that burn belly fat, which helps in more fat loss. It contains many nutrients such as omega 3, manganese, phosphorous, zinc, etc. all these help us in reducing weight.
You can grind it and prepare butter from it, which will taste better.
We have been given the advice of eating sprouts since childhood, which gives us energy. Scientifically, it is a good source of protein for vegetarians. Eating sprouts in the morning menu provides energy all day long and does not allow us to get hungry, by which we consume fewer calories and stay satisfied at the same time.
Sprouts salad, in which we can also add onions, tomatoes, green chilies and flax seeds. All these things give us vitamins and minerals, which is needed by our body. I eat 200 grams of this in the morning.
Do not prepare the same salad every day; prepare a different salad each day, such as sprouts on one day, chana on the other day, chhole the next day, rajma the following day, etc. If they are sprouts, then well and good and lentils which are eaten only after boiling can be prepared as a salad after boiling them.
You can also use boiled potato now and then in the salad. If boiled potato is eaten in appropriate quantity, then it reduces your weight.
Hot green smoothie
This is coriander juice, which is prepared by my own modification in Shalini Jee’s Fat loss smoothie. According to her, it is a fat burning drink. With this, you can reduce 5 kgs in one month. It is better to consume it in the morning. This helps in improving digestion. It contains a huge amount of vitamin O and A. It is a good antioxidant which cleans our system. Along with reduction of pounds, it also helps in controlling diabetes.
In fruits, eating apple, pear, papaya and pomegranate are beneficial. But fruits contain a lot of carbohydrates too. One medium sized apple has 25 grams carbohydrates (90 calories). That is the reason I keep the quantity of the fruit salad to be 100 grams, by which nutrients can be gained but it will not increase weight.
Many dieticians tell to add pomegranate in the nutritious diet because along with necessary vitamins and minerals, it also contains high amount of fiber, which is very helpful in fat loss. Pomegranate helps your stomach feel full through which you do not get hungry easily. Scientifically, pomegranate contains high amounts of antioxidants and polyphenols which helps in stops our weight to increase. It also increases your immunity power.
Weight loss laddoo
This laddoo is such that it is full of vitamins and minerals, and it increases our metabolism. It contains a high amount of protein, through which we do not feel hungry easily. It helps in improving our digestion. You must have understood by now that whatever is necessary to get slim, all that is available in this. Eating 1-2 20 gram/laddoo will help you to get slim. Eating more of it can increase your weight. According to Dr. Shalini, you can reduce up to 5 kgs with it. You can find out the full process and its benefits in Dr. Shalini’s videos.
Green tea helps in the detoxification of our body, meaning it removes all the toxic elements from our body. Green tea also increases our metabolism, especially it increases sugar metabolism, through which our weight does not increase. It contains catechin elements, in which EGCG elements can be obtained. It helps in breaking the fat cells, which burns the fat. It reduces bad cholesterol (LDL) and increases good cholesterol (HDL). That is the reason it is beneficial for heart as well as diabetic patients.
This is one of the healthiest grains in the world and is good alternative for chapattis in eating menu. It is a very good source of vitamins, minerals, soluble fiber and antioxidants. It has almost all the necessary nutritious elements which are needed by our body such as manganese, phosphorous, copper, iron, vitamin B, etc. It also calms out hunger, by which we consume fewer calories. It reduces bad cholesterol (LDL) and controls the blood sugar. Due to this, it reduces weight, makes you slim and also controls diabetes and blood pressure.
Chapatti and vegetables
Mostly all Indian diet plans do not add wheat made chapattis and vegetables in the eating plan because they contain many calories and the ratio of nutrient content to it is less. But it is difficult for us Indians to quit it, we feel incomplete without it, and that is why I have added one chapatti and some vegetables in this meal plan. I eat this at 4 pm in the evening. A huge amount of calories get added to our vegetables due to oil, so use less amount of oil and if possible, use olive oil or coconut oil. And add a very small amount of ghee on your chapatti.
It is not that only this diet plan will reduce your weight, you just need to understand the balanced diet plan, as I said earlier. And you can prepare proper diet on your own.
Nonetheless, each person has a different body structure, it is not necessary that only one diet plan will work for everyone. You can make changes according to you in the diet food plan, which will make it work for you. If this meal plan is not helping to reduce weight then first of all reduce its quantity and maintain regularity.
Keep on making changes in the eating plan; this meal plan is good to start. Follow this for one month and then make changes, such as yellow tea (turmeric tea) instead of green tea, curry leaf instead of jeera ajvaain (cumin seeds and carom seeds), any other juice instead of green juice, such as garbage juice or bottle gourd juice, almond milk instead of protein laddoo, just keep swapping healthy items. One diet plan will make your body used to it and your weight loss will slow down.
Best Diet Tips for weight loss
I am writing all those tips here which I follow and through which I have benefited in losing weight.
- Eat such food to lose weight which is less in calories but full of nutrient content (vitamins and minerals). I keep on repeating this point because this is the core for weight loss.
- For slimming never stay hungry, so keep eating in small quantities; eat more often, but do not eat much at one time.
- You should surely have breakfast. Usually Indians have breakfast very late in the morning or we do not have it at all, this makes our metabolism very slow. A fast metabolism is very necessary in our fat loss.
- Have fenugreek seeds before eating heavy food because it makes digestion better and reduces our hunger by which we eat less.
- Stop using white sugar or use it as less as possible. It increases a lot of weight.
- Drink green tea; drink it 20-30 mins after your meal, which would be the most beneficial.
- Keep your vegan diet colorful, whether it is a salad, soup or smoothie, such as green vegetables (coriander, spinach, and chili), add red pomegranate, apple, tomato. Drink yellow lemon juice or orange juice, etc.
- Surely have a pomegranate in a fruit salad menu. Along with vitamins and mineral, you can get a lot of fiber and it reduces your hunger.
- Quit unhealthy food such as pizza, burger, fast food, etc. Eat only healthy food such as green vegetables, fruits, grains with their peel on, lentils, salad, etc.
- Along with protein, have orange juice or lemon juice for slimming, which increases protein metabolism and through which you do not get body fat.
- Do not eat anything heavy after 7 o clock in the evening.
- Sleep after having almond milk or a protein laddoo which increases your metabolism even during sleep time by which you can burn fat while sleeping.
- Drink a lot of water; it will remove all the toxic substances from your body, which will make you healthy. If possible, drink only hot water. According to Baba Ramdev(Indian Yoga Expert), you can reduce 3-5 kgs in one month by drinking only hot water.
- Add seeds in your vegan diet, such as flax seeds, chia seeds, tahini seeds. They contain a lot of nutrients (vitamins and minerals) and almost all of them increase metabolism.
- If you eat only 3 times then have breakfast like a king and have dinner like a beggar. Consume a lot of protein during the morning meal which will give you energy all day long and does not induce hunger at the same time.
- Keep the weight loss diet around 1200 calories(for adult men and women), and keep 50% carbohydrates, 20% protein and 30% fat. See more information here.
- Do not consume deep fried items(which we all Indians Love). Due to oil, the calorie content increases a lot without any nutrient content, this increases our body fat.
- And do not quit your favorite items all at once; otherwise you won’t be able to control yourself for a few days. Keep on eating in bits every now and then.
You can see more weight loss tips here, Which i am following.
I have shared my experience with you here. I have been following this diet by which I have lost weight. I am not a dietician; I am just a normal person like you, who is losing weight by gaining knowledge through the medium of internet. You can view my Weight loss Journey here.
Note – Before following any type of diet, you should take the advice of your doctor, because only they will be able to give you the proper advice according to your body and its composition.
PS – I am making continuous changes in this diet food plan and trying to make it better and better.
If you have any confusion then you can write your question in the comment below, I will help as much as I can.
NOTE - Friends, I am not dietitian or Doctor, I write information here on the basis of my own 22 kilo weight loss experience and sometimes from online research. Please take doctor advice before applying any tip, as each and every human body is different.