25 Jan How to Eat Flax Seeds for Weight Loss – Alsi Benefits
Now we will talk about, How to Lose Weight with Flax Seeds.
Many of us have tried to lose weight many times but didn’t get results as needed. We usually target to reduce diet and start using more vegetables, especially fruits, but we tend to skip some other useful ingredients and seeds like flaxseeds (also called Alsi). Flaxseeds are one of the most used seeds for weight loss, all around the world.
Flaxseeds help in feeling full for a long time and increasing metabolism. They are also loaded with vitamins and minerals like omega-3 fatty acids, fiber and potassium, all which are necessary in weight loss.
Let’s dig this deeper. Important topics such as How Flax seeds help you in weight loss, Simple ways to use it, how much to eat daily, effective flaxseed recipes especially for reducing weight, flaxseeds side effects and more, should be taken into account. Let us discuss these one by one.
How flaxseeds help in losing weight
According to health Institute research, Flaxseeds are a very important ingredient when it comes to losing weight. It provides a number of nutritional qualities which accelerate the process of weight loss. Let us discuss the various ways in which Alsi seeds assist in the same.
High fiber content
Flaxseeds contain a high amount of fiber, i.e. around 0.7 gm of dietary fiber per 1 teaspoon. Dietary fiber helps you feel full for a longer time, cutting down the unnecessary intake of calories. It also helps in controlling the blood sugar which does not allow excess fat to accumulate.
Alsi seeds contain important nutrition elements known as lignans which increase the metabolism rate and lower the cholesterol level. They are also antioxidant in nature which helps in cancer prevention and cleaning the internal organs of the body.
Contains Omega- 3s Fatty Acid
Omega- 3s fatty acid is responsible for preventing obesity by producing adiponectin. It ultimately regulates the metabolism and keeps the weight down. Flaxseeds are #1 source of Omega3s fatty acid for Vegetarians.
Less in calories
Flaxseeds contain only 13 calories per 1 teaspoon (2.5g) of ground seeds & 18 calories 1 teaspoon (3.4g) of whole seeds. Thus it can be deliberately added to any of your recipes to make it tasty and healthy.
Low in carbohydrates and high in vitamin
Low carbohydrate content helps in maintaining a healthy body weight. It is also rich in Vitamin B which helps in keeping you full for long.
Also Flaxseeds contain a high amount of Potassium, magnesium and zinc nutrients which help in losing weight.
How to eat and use Flax Seeds in your weight loss diet
When we start using flaxseeds for weight loss, the first thing that comes in our mind is how to eat flaxseeds and how to add them in our diet. Let me tell you, there are many ways to use these slimming seeds.
There is no need to make specialized flaxseed recipes; you can simply use them in your daily diet recipes. Remember; don’t use more than 2 tbsp of ground flaxseeds a day. Yes, prefer using ground flaxseeds instead of whole.
- Sprinkle it on your breakfast – Like sprinkle it on your Oatmeal, yogurt, Salads (Vegetable, Fruit or sprouts).
- Add it on your Soups – You can prepare a number of soups using flaxseeds such as pumpkin flaxseeds soup, lentil and flaxseeds soup, or barley and flaxseeds soup. Below I have mentioned and discussed about one of those recipes. Do check it out.
- Add in Roti, chapatti or bread dough – Which easiest way, as we all Indians eat Wheat or rice daily.
- Add it in your Juices and smoothies. You can also add it in your coffee (flaxseeds powder)
- Add in your Protein Laddu’s or dessert – You can have flaxseeds along with peanut butter, by sprinkling its powder on it, or mixing it in some recipe.
Right way to take Flaxseeds(whole or ground) and its Daily Dosage
You should consume around 2 teaspoons of Flaxseeds every day and add it in your meals to stay in shape and to lose weight. Start with ½ tbsp and increase slowly till 2 tbsp.
Consuming Flaxseeds in the ground from rather than whole would be more beneficial as it would be easier to digest.
Taking whole Alsi seeds will not be equally beneficial since it is bound to be excreted from the body without extracting its nutritional qualities. You can add them in various dishes such as oatmeal or you can add the Flaxseed powder in the chapatti dough to camouflage its taste. Other options include addition to the vegetable salad, eggs, porridge or soup.
And as I always says, Consult your doctor before using flaxseeds for weight loss they can guide you better, according to your body.
3 Best Tasty Flaxseeds Slimming Recipes
There are many flaxseed recipes, which works best specially for weight loss.
Flaxseed Raita for reducing Belly fat
All Ingredients we are using in this Raita, beneficial in reducing weight like, Low fat yogurt helps in cutting down belly fat and helps in keeping you full for longer, which reduces food cravings and unnecessary caloric build up.
Cumin helps in reducing blood sugar levels and improves digestion. Bottle gourd is high in water content and also in fiber content, which keeps you full for long. It is also less in calories and rich in nutrients.
Mint leaves reduce bloating and helps in improving digestion by improving bile flow.
You will need: 1 cup grated bottle gourd, 1 cup low fat yogurt, finely chopped mint leaves, ¼ tsp cumin powder, ¼ tsp black salt, 1 tsp honey, 2 tbsp ground Alsi seeds and salt.
Step 1: Cook the bottle gourd with water in a pan for 4 to 5 mins and keep it aside.
Step 2: Mix the rest of the ingredients in a bowl.
Step 3: Add the cooked bottle gourd and keep it in the refrigerator to chill.
Serve cool with chapatti or paratha.
Also Read- Top 5 Patanjali Products for Weight Loss
Flaxseed & Lentil Fat burner Soup
Lentils and barley are high in protein content and brown rice provides good carbs for energy. Flaxseeds have Omega-3 fatty acids and all of them are rich in fiber.
Vegetables are low in calorie content and they too contain high fiber content. What else you need in a weight loss soup, It works like fat burner.
You will need: 1 cup soaked lentils, 1 cup barley, ½ cup brown rice, ½ cup flaxseeds, 2-3 onions, ½ clove garlic, ½ cup carrot, 1 cup shredded cabbage, ½ cup chopped capsicum, juice of 1 lemon, 1 tbsp salt and seasoning as required.
- Crush the onions and garlic together and sauté them in a pan.
- Add the mixture of lentils, barley, brown rice and flaxseeds.
- Add 3-4 cups of water and let it stew for a while.
- Add the other vegetables along with lemon juice and salt.
- You can add the seasonings according to your taste such as mixed herbs, chili flakes, black salt or pepper.
- Mix thoroughly and let it simmer for a while until the vegetables are properly cooked.
Flaxseeds smoothie – Tasty and Energetic
As we have discussed, flaxseeds are rich in fiber content and they contain Omega-3 fatty acids, which are useful in providing good fat. Other ingredients in the smoothei also increase its weight loss properties like, Lemon, strawberries and honey have antioxidants which help in detoxification of the body.
Bananas provide energy for exercising and are rich in calcium. Soy milk is again, rich in protein content.
You will need: 2 tbsp Flaxseeds, 2 tsp lemon juice, chopped strawberries, chopped bananas, 2 tbsp honey, 1 cup low fat milk or soy milk.
Step 1: Combine all the ingredients together and mix in it a blender to a thick consistency.
Step 2: Add a small amount of water to make the texture smooth.
Step 3: Pour into glasses and garnish with chopped bananas and strawberries.
Consuming Flaxseeds on a daily basis will surely benefit you in losing weight due to number of health benefits it offers, it also help me allot in my weight loss.
Potential Flaxseed side effects
Despite the various health benefits of Flaxseeds, there are certain ill effects associated with it when eating flaxseeds in large amounts. It may cause certain gastrointestinal side effects such as constipation, diarrhea, nausea, bloating, gas and stomach ache.
Remember if you have Diarrhea symptom (loose motions) avoid using flaxseeds, it can make it worse due to its laxative properties.
It is necessary to consume Alsi seeds powder in small quantities per day to avoid any such problems and systematic weight loss.
Frequently Asked question about Flaxseeds
Is It Safe To Eat Flaxseed During Pregnancy?
Flaxseeds are considerably safe during pregnancy if taken in moderate amounts. Alsi seeds contain omega- 3 fatty acids which are necessary for the health of the baby. It also contains fiber and laxative properties which are necessary for the body. Flaxseed prevent hot flushes which are common during pregnancy and control the blood sugar level.
Consumption of Flaxseeds during Diabetes
It’s hard to reduce weight with Diabetes, here Consuming 1 teaspoon of Flaxseed daily certainly helps in controlling the blood sugar level as well as weight loss. The fatty acids present in Flaxseeds improve triglycerides, cholesterol, and hemoglobin A1c levels in diabetic patients.
Flaxseeds or Walnut for omega- 3 fatty acids?
Flaxseeds and walnuts are considered a healthy food option and should be included in your daily diet. While both contain important nutrients works good for weight loss. In numbers, there is only 0.91 grams of omega- 3 fatty acids in 10 gram chopped walnuts as compared to 2.28 grams in 10 gram whole Flaxseed. So flaxseed wins on omega-3 fatty acids base.
Also Read – Indian Dresses slimming tips for overweight women.
Flaxseeds Nutrition Facts
One teaspoon of ground Flaxseeds or around 2.5 g of Flaxseeds contain the following amount of nutrition.
- Calories: 13
- Protein:0.5 g
- Fiber: 0.7 g
- Carbohydrates:0.7 g
- Fat: 1.1 g
- Polyunsaturated fat 0.7 g
- Sodium: 0.8 mg
- Potassium: 20.3 mg
- Calcium: 0%
- Magnesium: 2%
Note: Here 1g carbs= 4 Calories, 1g Protein= 4 Calories, 1g Fat= 9 Calories.
More Health Benefits of Flaxseeds
Apart from weight loss, Alsi seeds provide many more health benefits as discussed below.
- Alsi seeds help in controlling diabetes. It builds insulin through the fiber which is present that helps in controlling blood glucose and combating type 2 diabetes. Daily intake of Flaxseed helps in improving blood sugar levels.
- Flaxseeds are beneficial for hair and skin too. The omega 3 fatty acids help in rejuvenating skin and making it smooth. It efficiently treats acne, blemishes and other skin allergies. Along with the skin, it benefits the hair too. It makes the hair healthy, smooth and shiny. It treats hair fall, dandruff and dry scalp efficiently.
- Eating Alsi Seeds protects from breast cancer, prostate cancer and colon cancer. The fatty acids and ALA components help in inhibiting tumor growth.
- Flaxseeds are beneficial in curing hypertension. Working stress and problems in a person’s life results in high blood pressure that can lead to hypertension. Consuming Flaxseeds can help in achieving lower blood pressure, hence curing hypertension.
- It is beneficial in curing inflammation. Since Flaxseeds are gluten free, they are anti- inflammatory in nature. Regular consumption of Flaxseed helps in curing gluten sensitivity, Celiac disease and inflammation.
- Consumption of Flaxseeds improves digestionand treats other digestive system related problems such as Crohn’s disease. Flaxseeds protect the lining of the digestive tract and promote food for friendly bacteria that cleanse the system.
- Lignans present in the Flaxseed have estrogenic properties which are helpful for women during the menopause phase. It maintains the cycleregularly in menstruating women and reduces the risk of osteoporosis.
- The lignan content in Alsi seeds help in reducing the liver disease risks and protect it.
- Eating Flaxseeds protects the heart and reduces cardiovascular diseases.
- Hormonal imbalance such as hot flashes and night sweat are controlled after regular consumption of Flaxseed. The overall psychological health is improved too.
- Flaxseeds are a boon for piles problem. Consuming Flaxseeds helps in curing piles due to the high fiber content and it also treats constipation efficiently.
- Flaxseeds contain alpha- linolenic acid which helps in treating asthma and other related allergies.
- Important dietary fatty acids which prevent dry eyes and protect them from stroke and other related problems are present in Alsi seeds.
- Flaxseeds also contain glycosides known as cyanogens which are helpful in treating thyroid due to the appropriate iodine intake.
- Boiling Flaxseeds in water and consuming it once in a day can efficiently treat cough and cold.
Many of the above mentioned health issues like diabetes, hyper tension, digestive issues etc, stop you from losing weight. As discussed above, Flaxseeds also cure those issues and allow you to lose more pounds. That is how eating Flaxseeds directly or indirectly beneficial in your weight loss.
Where to Buy Flaxseeds
Flaxseeds are easily available at your nearby grocery stores or market. You can also order them online on popular grocery sites such as Grofers or Big Basket, or organic Alsi seeds from sites like Amazon. Patanjali is a brand which sells organic products with the fairest rates and unprocessed methods. You can easily buy Flaxseed from a nearby Pantanjali store or online.
Flax seeds Price – Flaxseeds are also available online in the form of powder. The current rate of Flaxseeds per kg in India is around 300 to 350 Rs.
NOTE - Friends, I am not dietitian or Doctor, I write information here on the basis of my own 25 kilo weight loss experience and sometimes from online research. Please take doctor advice before applying any tip, as each and every human body is different.