30 Dec Cumin/jeera water for weight loss and health benefits
This post is also available in: Hindi
The most common spice of Indian cuisine, cumin seeds (also known as Jeera in India) has a lot of health benefits along with the flavor it gives. A member of the parsley family, cumin is also used as a medicinal plant and for ayurvedic treatment. Be it soups, curries, kormas or any other type of traditional dish, Indians have been using cumin spice since millennia. India bags the first place in the consumption of cumin, being its largest producer and exporter too.
Now let’s discuss Does jeera really help in weight loss?
How does jeera water help in reducing weight?
Jeera has been one of the beneficial spices which help in reducing weight through a number of benefits.
Jeera is packed with antioxidants which help in removing the toxic elements from the body. This helps in cleaning the internal organs and makes them stronger. Consuming jeera water will help in the production of bile in your liver which will ultimately help in reducing gas and bloating sensations.
2. Improves digestion:
Consuming jeera water helps in improving digestion and keeps the system healthy. It helps in secreting enzymes which break down fats, carbohydrates and glucose, preventing morning sickness, nausea and diarrhea.
3. Increases metabolism and burns fat:
Jeera is an effective fat burner which helps in increasing the rate of metabolism and ultimately it cuts belly fat, which helps in reducing weight and fighting obesity.
4. Suppresses hunger:
Consuming jeera will help you in reducing appetite as it fills your stomach for a long period and thus it helps in losing weight.
5. Purifies blood:
Since it helps in detoxification, it improves digestion and thus it purifies blood.
So you can see, it helps in many ways to reduce obesity, That’s why its becoming a mandatory in every weight loss diet.
Nutrition facts of Cumin seeds
The nutritional value of cumin per 100 grams:
- Calories: 375
- Fat: 22 g
- Sodium: 168 mg
- Potassium: 1788 mg
- Carbohydrates: 44 g
- Protein: 18 g
- Fiber: 11 g
- Calcium: 931 mg
- Iron: 66.36 mg
- Magnesium: 931 mg
- Phosphorus: 499 mg
- Zinc: 4.8 mg
How these Nutrients help in fat loss
- Magnesium helps in improving flexibility and gives good sleep. It also helps in increasing muscle strength.
- Calcium helps in strengthening bones and helps in managing weight.
- Vitamin A and Vitamin C help in detoxification and improves immunity.
- Potassium helps in improving physical strength and promotes mental wellness.
- Phosphorus helps in strengthening teeth and bones along with improvement in digestion.
How to take Cumin seeds to lose weight
We Indians take Cumin in many ways but there are few specific recipes which mainly help in losing weight.
Recipe 1 – Jeera water:
You will need: 2 tbsp Jeera, 1 liter water and a jar.
Step 1: Pour 2 tablespoons of jeera in a jar along with 1 liter of water.
Step 2: Cover the jar with a lid.
Step 3: Let it stay overnight until the jeera gets engorged in the water.
Your jeera water is ready to be consumed. Drinking it in the morning on an empty stomach will be more beneficial.
Recipe 2 – Famous Cumin, coriander, fennel seeds tea:
You will need: 1 teaspoon whole jeera seeds, coriander seeds, fennel seeds and 4- 5 cups of water.
Step 1: Add 1 teaspoon whole jeera seeds, coriander seeds and fennel seeds to 4- 5 cups of water.
Step 2: Put it on heat for around 4- 5 mins and bring it to boil.
Step 3: Strain the mixture and your jeera tea is ready to be consumed.
Recipe 3 – Cumin powder in yogurt:
You will need: Cumin powder and 5 ounces of non fat yogurt.
Add 1 tbsp of cumin powder in a bowl of non fat yogurt and swirl into 5 ounces of yogurt. Have it in small amounts.
In north this Recipe is very common, as cumin power increase yogurt taste much.
“NIH( National Institute of Health) Research on 88 overweight/obese women Shows taking Cumin Powder in Yogurt help in reducing Weight, BMI, waist circumference, fat mass and its percentage significantly reduced. You can view the Complete Research Here.”
Recipe 4 – Cumin with lemon and ginger:
You will need: Cumin seeds, water, 1 lemon and 1 piece ginger.
Step 1: Bring water to boil and grate ginger in it.
Step 2: Let the mixture boil for 2 minutes and then filter it after taking it off the flame.
Step 3: Add lemon and cumin to the water.
Drink the mixture throughout the day.
Recipe 5 – Jeera ajwain water:
You will need: 25 grams ajwain, cumin seeds, water and honey (optional).
Step 1: Add ajwain and cumin seeds to one glass of water and let it soak overnight.
Step 2: Mix properly and strain the mixture.
Step 3: You can add honey for taste.
Drink for 20 to 30 days for weight loss.
More cumin seeds health benefits
Apart from weight loss, cumin promotes a number of health benefits.
- It treats skin disorders such as boils, pimples and psoriasis. Due to the presence of Vitamin E in jeera seeds, it keeps your skin healthy. The anti- fungal properties also help prevent skin infections. It keeps the skin glowing.
- Cumin consists of nutrients and vitamins which prevent hair from falling. It effectively treats hair loss and prevents the hair from thinning.
- Cumin also has a high content of iron which prevents anemia and increases hemoglobin.
- Cumin consists of anti- carcinogenic properties which help in fighting cancer, especially colon and breast cancer.
- It efficiently cures cold and promotes healthy kidney life.
- Jeera seeds lower blood sugar level.
- Along with hair fall, it also prevents dandruff and promotes long and shiny hair.
- The antioxidants present in cumin seeds prevent ageing of skin and other problem such as wrinkles, spots and sagging skin.
- It effectively treats boils and cleans the body from within.
- It helps in curing body itchiness and helps to cool it down.
Black cumin oil (Jeera oil) benefits and side effects
Black cumin oil is also known as black seed oil and is popular in treating a number of health problems.
- It has anti- obesity properties which help in reducing weight and burns belly fat. It reduces appetite and improves glucose absorption.
- It effectively treats diabetes. It increases the insulin sensitivity of liver cells and helps in preventing type 1 and type 2 diabetes.
- It promotes healthy skin and gives it a glow.
- It fights hair fall and prevents dandruff along with thinning of hair.
- It fights cancer such as colon cancer, lung cancer, brain tumor cells and more.
- It prevents allergies and infections and gives relief from asthma.
Side effects of black cumin oil:
- It can lower blood pressure.
- It can create problems such as nausea, dizziness, fatigue and hypotension.
- It can affect the smooth muscle contractions of the uterus during pregnancy.
- It may cause certain allergies such as swelling of lips, vomiting, diarrhea and cramps.
Where to buy cumin seeds and oil
You can purchase cumin seeds and oil from online groceries or online shopping websites. To assure quality and freshness, you can get in from your nearby market or grocery/kirana shop.
NOTE - Friends, I am not dietitian or Doctor, I write information here on the basis of my own 25 kilo weight loss experience and sometimes from online research. Please take doctor advice before applying any tip, as each and every human body is different.