08 Jul How to use Jaggery for Weight Loss – Benefits and Recipes
Now we will talk about Weight Loss with Jaggery.
Jaggery is a superfood of Indian origin that is considered to be the powerhouse of essential fibers, minerals, and vitamins. This decent natural sweetener can be a lifesaver in the world of “Cut-Sugar-From-Diet.”It comes in different shades of brown from light to dark. Also known as the “Gur” or “Goor” in Hindi, jaggery is considered to be a prominent food for weight loss.
Is Jaggery Really Good for Losing Weight?
Jaggery is rich in nutrients content which makes it very easy to digest. Not only that, it also helps in flushing out the excess toxins from the body and purifying the blood. All these benefits of jiggery lead your end goal of weight loss.
Let’s have a look at various health aspects of jaggery that helps in shedding off kilos:
A healthy digestive system is a big contribution towards getting your body in shape. If your digestive system is not working right, you will probably end up putting on excess weight. If you start consuming jaggery on regular basis, you can put a break on weight gain. Jaggery is loaded with the vital fibers that improve your digestion which ultimately leads to weight loss.
Jaggery contains certain vitamins and minerals that are effective in boosting body’s metabolic activity. Efficient metabolism has always been an important factor in achieving and maintaining a healthy body weight.
Promotes Water Retention
One of the essential minerals found in Jaggery is potassium. Studies have shown that good amounts of potassium enhance the water retention in your body. Therefore, eating jaggery helps your body retain more water resulting in significant weight reduction.
Jaggery helps in detoxifying the body by removing the toxic substances from the body. It can effectively reduce harmful toxins from your body if it is consumed appropriately on regular basis. This leads to reducing the extra weight and maintaining good overall health.
Jaggery Recipes for Reducing Weight Effectively
There are numerous ways in which jaggery can be eaten in order to become leaner and achieve ideal body weight. Get ready to enjoy the natural and nutrition taste of jaggery with these simple yet amazing recipes while improving your overall health.
#Recipe 1 – Jaggery Tea (Gur Vali Chai)
Jaggery tea is not much popular but it’s one of the healthiest beverages consumed in India. If you want to overcome obesity, you can drink this “Gur ki chai” regularly and see the effect.
You will need following ingredients to make jaggery tea:
- One small piece of jaggery
- Water – 1 glass
- Tea leaves (Chai Patti) – 1 Tea Spoon
- Chopped Ginger – ½ Tea Spoon
- Cardamom Powder – 1 Pinch
- Milk – ½ Cup
How to make?
- Boil one glass of water in a pan.
- Once the water starts to boil, put jaggery, cardamom, and ginger in it.
- Let it boil for 10 minutes on low flame.
- Add the milk into the pan.
- Again boil the tea for 10 minutes.
- Your jaggery tea is ready to be filtered.
#Recipe 2 – Jaggery Water (Gol Paani)
Jaggery water is yet another quintessential drink that is known to be extremely healthy because of its quality ingredients.
Let’s find out how to make jaggery water.
You will need following ingredients to make jaggery water:
- Jaggery – 1 small Bowl
- Water –2 Glasses
- Basil Seeds – ¼ Table Spoon
- Lime Juice – 2 Table Spoons
- Mint Leaves – 2-3 leaves
How to make?
- Put jaggery in the water and stir them until it has mixed well in water.
- Soak basil seeds in water for 15 minutes. Then rinse them off and put them in the jaggery water.
- Also, add lime juice to it and stir continuously until all ingredients have mixed well.
- Keep the drink in the fridge to cool.
- Serve chilled.
This drink can be very refreshing and energetic especially in summers. Drink it regularly to beat the summer health and keep your weight in check. There are few more similar weight loss water drinks like horse gram water or sattu water.
#Recipe 3 – Jaggery Candy
Jaggery candy is people’s favorite recipe made out of jaggery, especially in winters. It can be made using the peanuts to give a brilliant taste while taking care of your weight and health. Let’s see how to make it.
You will need the following ingredients to make jaggery candy:
- Jaggery powder – 1 Bowl
- Refined Oil or Ghee – ½ bowl
- Peanuts – ½ bowl
- Sesame Seeds –¼ bowl
How to make?
- Take a pan and put the ghee in it.
- Put the sesame seeds and roast for a while.
- Put the jaggery powder until it’s melted.
- Do not overheat as overheating can make candy too hard to be eaten.
- Put the peanuts in it and pour the mixture into a greased plate.
- Let it cool off for some time.
- Your jaggery candy is ready.
It is recommended to eat jaggery candy every day after dinner to improve your digestive system.
Please note that eating jaggery alone cannot help you shed off the kilos. You have to follow a fitness regime along with other nutrition plan and physical activity for effective results.
How much jaggery should you eat in a day?
Depending on different recipes, below is the appropriate about of jaggery you should eat in a day.
- Jaggery Tea – 2 cups of tea (One in the morning and another in the evening)
- Jaggery Water – 1 glasses in a day (Morning, afternoon, and the evening)
- Jaggery Candy –1 medium sized candy (After having dinner to improve your digestive system)
Please avoid consuming excess jaggery as it can also show opposite effect on your health.
Nutritional Fact and Value of Jaggery
For 10 Gram Jaggery
|Sr No||Nutrient||Value per 10g|
|1||Calories for fat||0|
Jaggery Vs Sugar
Sugar is strictly prohibited by the dieticians and doctors to maintain a healthy lifestyle and weight, because it is the main reason being many critical health issues including heart diseases. Therefore, to maintain a little sweetness in life, jaggery can be a better replacement for sugar.
Let’s have a look at various plus points of eating jaggery instead of sugar:
- Jaggery is rich in phytochemicals for improving digestion. On the other hand, sugar does not have such properties.
- While jaggery and ginger tea can help you relieve cold and cough, sugar can worsen the situation by producing phlegm in excess.
- Jaggery has been proved to be quite effective in relieving headache. Sugar has no such properties.
- Jaggery contains some vital minerals as compared to sugar.
- Jaggery is also considered to be effective in controlling blood pressure and sugar cannot do that.
Other Health Benefits of Jaggery
Let’s have a look at some other health benefits of jaggery:
Jaggery is the powerhouse of immunity boosting minerals such as zinc and selenium. Apart from that, it is also rich in anti-oxidants which help in boosting the immunity and preventing infections.
Relieves Menstrual Pain
Jaggery is a natural healer for easing off menstrual pain and cramps as it is rich in vital nutrients. It also boosts the production of endorphins in the body to help you relax and prevent pre-menstrual syndrome.
Prevents Blood Disorders
Jaggery promotes the hemoglobin production in the blood and hence prevents many blood disorders by keeping your immune. Being rich in iron and folate, it also helps to preventanemia.
Good for Intestinal Health
As mentioned earlier, jaggery is very effective in improving your digestive system. Being rich in magnesium, it strengthens your intestines and keeps them healthy.
Effective in respiratory diseases
Many scientific studies reveal that eating jaggery regularly helps in preventing many respiratory issues including asthma and bronchitis. It is best to eat jaggery candies to prevent certain respiratory diseases.
Helps liver function properly
Jaggery helps your liver function efficiently by removing the harmful toxins from the body.
Jaggery helps in relieving constipation by activating the digestive enzymes in the body and stimulating the bowel movements.
Now that you know how effective is jaggery for weight loss, you will definitely don’t regret munching various gur desserts cooked in your home on special occasions.
NOTE - Friends, I am not dietitian or Doctor, I write information here on the basis of my own 25 kilo weight loss experience and sometimes from online research. Please take doctor advice before applying any tip, as each and every human body is different.