11 Dec Green Tea for Weight loss – Best Time, How much and Recipes
You look at the mirror and all you can see is your protruding belly and that extra skin near your chin area. My life turned topsy-turvy when I started losing track of all those extra calories I have been gulping down blatantly before I stepped on to the weighing machine. So, the next step was to find every possible solution in the web world and that’s when I came across the magic potion – ‘Green Tea’.
Major benefits of Green tea for Weight Loss
I researched a lot on why going green is healthy, and to my surprise, it does have proven benefits. No wonder it has been used as the key medical ingredient, be it in ayurvedic or Chinese treatments, since the ancient times. Amongst the other health benefits, drinking green tea really helps in weight loss. I tried and this is how making it my morning companion benefited me-
1) Burns and mobilizes fat – Green tea has the antioxidant substance known as Epigallocatechin or EGCG which claims to enhance fat burning by inhibiting an enzyme. This enzyme breaks down the hormone Norepinephrine and as the number of Norepinephrine increases, more fat cells break down. A similar effect is also experienced by limited consumption of caffeine.
I also imparted green tea before my exercise session which has worked wonders to me. It is said that green tea burns fat at a higher rate during workouts.
2) Positive effects of green tea on your appetite – It is claimed that green tea reduces the absorption of the fat in your diet thereby, helping to lose weight.
3) Metabolism rate surges – Studies suggest that the presence of caffeine and flavonoids in green tea helps in enhancing the metabolic rate thereby, burning more calories around the clock.
4) Boosts energy and immunity – As I mentioned, the fat cells breaks down the fat which is released into the bloodstream. This is what is then available as energy. Green tea is packed with antioxidants and immune boosters which add to the benefits.
5) Releases stress and anxiety – As you are pampered with hot green tea with fresh flavors, it tends to act as stress buster. With decreased level of anxiety, you tend to not stuff yourself with junk food.
Best Time to take Green tea
Generally, I don’t take it on an empty stomach as there is a fair chance of damaging your liver. Snack on something before you drink your first cup of tea for better results.
With diligent efforts, I have now replaced normal tea with green tea. I normally take a sip or two in the mornings and evenings.
For starters, the ideal time for green tea intake is-
- Drink at least a 1-2 hours before or after the meal
- 2 hours before bedtime due to Caffeine amount.
- Avoid taking it immediately after having your medicines.
- Take it at least an hour prior to your work out sessions
If your stomach is not sensitive, it is advised drink green tea along with your meals. This is a smart option, especially for weight loss goals.
How Many Cups of Green tea per day for slimming?
Anything taken in extreme can have adverse effects. This also applies to the intake of green tea. Studies suggest that drinking 2-3 cups of green tea can burn around 106 calories per day. Limit your consumption to a around 3 cups (750ml) per days for healthy results. This packed with workout sessions can fuel up your fat burning process.
I started off drinking 2 cups per day and now opt it as a side drink whenever I have my meal. This helps in balancing out the overall effects.
Also Check – Five Best Green Tea for Weight Loss in India
5 Best Ways to Take Green Tea for burning fat
There have been various assumptions going the rounds on how to take green tea for losing weight and burning fats, most of which are mistaken. To make this easy, I have jotted down five of the promising recipes which are simple, super healthy and high-flying.
#Recipe 1: The most famous of all
Green tea is available in the form of tea bags and loose tea leaves. The classic brewed green tea is something which is a handy solution for an instant boost. Here are some of my go-to ways to brew green tea with least efforts-
This is how you can brew:
With Loose green tea
- What you need:
- Take 2 teaspoons – loose green tea
1 cup of hot water ( 160 degrees F)
Take 2 teaspoons of tea leaves (according to your preference – strong or bitter), pour hot water till about a quarter of glass is filled. Swirl the glass and make sure the leaves get submerged and absorb water. Let it sit for few minutes. Finally fill in more hot water as per your requirement. Voila!
With Tea bags
The trick is hotter the water, more is the release of catechins. The tea leaves in tea bags are broken into finer particles so it is advised to use as it is designed and avoid cutting the tea bags. Also extend the steeping time which can bring the essence but doing it overboard can make it taste bitter.
You can also add flavors to it with a tinge of lemon or honey, simple recipe of which are listed in the following sections.
#Recipe2: Green tea with lemon and honey
Sweeteners like honey has various benefits to it including its antiseptic property which help in relieving acidity, reduce allergies and infections. A study claims that honey activates the hormones that tend to suppress the appetite, thereby, helping you lose those extra pounds.
Similarly, the citrus juice in lemons brings out the antioxidant elements of green tea thereby, making them more available for the body to absorb. Also, the combination of lemon and green tea creates a calorie deficit for losing weight.
How to make Honey Lemon Green Tea?
Ingredients: Green tea, honey, lemon, warm water
Serving Size: 250ml
- Fill in your mug with the brewed green tea and boiling water as concentrated as you prefer.
- Squeeze in a slice of lemon and add honey. If possible try to get organic honey which is free from flavours and artificial preservatives.
Et Voila! Your hot lemon honey green tea is ready.
Though the combined effect of the three ingredients is high, you can also go for the individual combination of green tea with honey or lemon separately which will also work like a charm for weight loss goals.
#Recipe3: Green tea with ginger and cinnamon
Ginger has a history of medical and culinary purposes. It relieves nausea and motion sickness and has antioxidants properties. Drinking ginger with green tea is believed to reduce fat and also works as a natural appetite suppresser thus reduces the food consumption.
Cinnamon is believed to increase the metabolism of glucose by imitating the biological activity of insulin and also preventing fat storage. This activity enables you to lose weight considerably. Another interesting fact about cinnamon is, it delays the passing of food consumed thereby keeping you feel satiated for a long time. Hence no more constant hunger breaks!
How to make ginger and cinnamon green tea?
Ingredients: Green tea, ginger, cinnamon, warm water
Serving size: 250 ml
- Grate a piece of ginger and add it to the hot brewing green tea.
- Now add cinnamons as per your requirement.
- Serve yourself with the healthy pack of cinnamon, ginger green tea and bottle up the remaining.
This elixir can be used to add a tinge of flavor in soups, veggie squashes and other healthy drinks.
You can also indulge into these ingredients individually with green tea.
#Recipe 4: Green tea with mint
It’s all exotic when you can smell and feel mint in your food. You can feel the same with added health benefits consuming mint and ginger combo. Of course, this combination will not magically shed down those extra pounds but mint has this benefit of improving digestion which helps in losing weight.
It not only helps in digestion but also helps in healthy bowel movements. Hence perfect for anyone trying to lose weight.
How to make mint green tea?
Ingredients: Green tea, mint leaves, warm water, lemon (optional)
Serving Size: 250ml
- Steep the green tea for at least 15 minutes in warm water for it to release antioxidants.
- Add 2 cups of water to it.
- Slide in 2-4 mint leaves.
- Add lemon essence which is optional.
#Recipe5: Green tea with Apple Cider vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is calorie-free and can reduce calorie intake. What attracts me is the flavor that the vinegar adds to the food without introducing calories. You can start off with drinking a cup of apple vinegar green tea whenever you feel the urge to munch on something unhealthy.
This hot beverage conveniently eats up your time by keeping you occupied. The mixture of AVC and green tea also acts as a detox drink.
This refreshing drink not only can enhance the fat burning but also improve the insulin sensitivity and maintain a healthy alkaline PH level by regulating body’s inner PH level.
How to make Green tea with ACV?
Ingredients: Green tea, AVC, warm water
Serving Size: 250ml
Mix 2-3 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar in a cup of hot green tea and drink 2-3 times a day for maximum benefits.
If you don’t like the taste of this mixture, you go add some sweeteners like honey that can definitely lessen the sourness of vinegar.
It is not clear how far this combination can impact your weight loss goals but it can definitely improve the digestion and with that it is clear that you won’t feel full anymore. With improved digestion, the rate of burning fat naturally increases.
Top 10 Health Advantages Of Green Tea
Green tea houses various enzymes, lipids, carbohydrates and other dietary essentials which makes it one of the healthiest beverages. They are made of Camellia Sinensis which undergoes minimal oxidation during processing.
We are listing some serious health benefits associated with the regular consumption of green tea. The healing compounds in green tea truly make this a super food with the right combination of fruits, herbs and other healthy ingredients.
Apart from assisting in losing those extra kilos, green tea and its ingredients has commendable effects on your overall health some of them are –
- To retain the glow of your skin – It keeps your skin youthful and also has anti-aging agents. You can also treat dark circles and puffy eyes by placing tea bags on the eyes for a short time allowing the tannins to work on them.
- The anti-inflammatory substance in the green tea boosts hair growth. Green tea can stimulate the hair growth with direct application onto your scalp.
- Keeps cold and flu away by providing vitamin C which helps to boost resistance.
- Lowers cholesterol levels by reducing the bad cholesterols (LDL) and increasing good cholesterol levels (HDL).
- Amino acids release stress and anxiety thus, a stress buster.
- Controls blood pressure by reducing Angiotensin which leads to high blood pressure.
- Helps in reducing scars and rashes formed due to skin infection or acne by its anti-inflammatory properties
- Lowers the risk of cancer with its high antioxidant level. These antioxidants help the body by preventing cell damage believed to be linked to cancer.
- They apparently help in preventing high insulin spikes and resulting fat storage. According to the recent research, green tea could lessen the development of insulin resistance and also obesity.
- Green tea also serves for dental health by killing bacteria and lowering risk of infection.
The merits of drinking green tea go beyond just maintaining your body weight. It has infinite health solutions and when combined with effective weight loss strategies, it can give you prolific results. So, bid adieu to toxic intake and start a routine for a healthy lifestyle.
Don’t forget to Check – Five Best Green Tea for Weight Loss in India
NOTE - Friends, I am not dietitian or Doctor, I write information here on the basis of my own 25 kilo weight loss experience and sometimes from online research. Please take doctor advice before applying any tip, as each and every human body is different.